Map of Tarragona (Includes the location of the CaixaForum):
There are lots of hotels to choose from in Tarragona. http://www.booking.com is a useful website. Below we provide you with a selection of some of the hotels available and typical prices for Feb (If booked in advance-Booking in advance is recommended as the weekend following the conference is the Tarragona Carnival, which is a big event and rooms may be sold out quickly):
- Hotel SB Ciutat de Tarragona-4 star-Plaza Imperial Tarraco, 5, 43005 Tarragona, 70-120 euros a night
- AC Hotel Tarragona by Marriott-4 star-Avenida Roma, 8, 43005 Tarragona, 60-120 euros a night
- Alexandra Aparthotel BenstarHotelGroup-3 star-Rambla Nova, 71, 43003 Tarragona, 65-130 euros a night
- Hotel Lauria-3 star-Rambla Nova, 20, 43004 Tarragona, 55-90 euros a night
- Hotel Sercotle Urbis-Plaça Corsini, 10, 43001 Tarragona, 50-65 euros a night (also very popular for dining and close to world heritage monuments)
- Catalunya Express-2 star-General Contreras, 16, 43004 Tarragona, 40-60 euros a night
- Hostal Alhambra Tarragona-2 star-Estanislao Figueras, 51, 43002 Tarragona, 25-30 euros a night
- On the Road Tarragona Rooms, 0 star but good review, La Nau, 4, 2n, 43003 Tarragona, 15 euros a night in mixed rooms
- Tarragona Hostel, 0 star but good rating, Unió, 26, 43001 Tarragona, 10-20 euros a night
Directions to Tarragona:
Flight: There are two airports close to Tarragona- Reus and Barcelona el Prat.
Reus is 10 min away by car or Taxi (ca. 30 Euros).
The direct bus costs about 3-6 Euros one way although tends to be every 3 hours. It is easier to take 2 buses and change in Reus, as this bus service is more regular. (Winter bus timetable is forthcoming)
Barcelona el Prat is an hour away and has a regular coach service (Bus Plana, which is 23.60 euros return). There is also a train service, although travelling by coach is quicker.
Bus Plana leaves from Terminal 1 (Ground floor and on the opposite side of the road). It goes directly to Tarragona and is the quickest way other than by car. There are free green buses, which shuttle people between terminals 1 & 2. The shuttle bus service takes about 10 minutes.
The train leaves from Terminal 2 but you would need to catch 2 trains, changing in Barcelona Sans. The 1st train is about 4-5 euros each way. The cost of the second train depends on which service you choose.
If you choose the fastest train (the AVE and Avant trains), which can reach Tarragona in 36 minutes, the fare will cost about 15€ each way from Barcelona Sans. The train stops at Camp Tarragona, which is 15 km away from the city centre. The Linea 1 bus will then take you into Tarragona.
There are two train stations in Tarragona (Camp Tarragona above for high speed trains and Tarragona city (for slower trains), which stops in the city centre).
If you choose to take the slower trains-the slowest taking 1.20 minutes from Barcelona Sans. This costs about 8 euros each way. To get to the bottom of the Rambla from the city train station, catch bus 41 (1.45 euro). This bus also goes to the main university campus.
Visit this website: http://www.highwaymaps.eu/spain